FWDC Day 1 - The deep end

First days always come with mixed feelings and today was no different - my first day of a four week directing course (FWDC) at Metfilm school.

Like with all my new starts I kept the tradition by showing up 15 mins late. That said, on balance I was 15 min early because I was running per the recommended arrival time rather than the actual start time. So for once the 30 min buffer worked in my favour - ignorance is awesome.

The first half of the day was spent setting the context of the course and the usual house keeping - all about nothing really.

However what came next was totally unexpected for the first day. 'You will be filming a short about change in behaviour of A or B as they interact' said Ben. He then went on to explain how this is called 'the punch', without any punching. What I took away from the brief was something along the lines of A short scene that captures the 'you've been tangoed' advert.

Once the initial brain freeze subsided and I was able to think of something other than a bald man slapping an unaware, well suited man on his way for a management type meeting, silly and running away screaming 'you've been tangoed' I was able to string together a lose though.

Thinking of calling it 'the impressionable' so watch this space for that little short to rear its head in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment